You’ve just been in a car accident. Now what? Many people fail to take important steps following a car accident, and make mistakes that can seriously devalue or ruin their claim. You may not even realize you are making a mistake until it’s too late. Abiding by a few simple guidelines after a vehicle collision can serve you well and ensure that your health and your car are taken care of.
After a crash, you should:
- Check yourself and any passengers in your vehicle to make sure everyone is okay. If someone is in need of medical attention, call 911 and request emergency assistance.
- If possible, move the car(s) out of the way of traffic to prevent another accident from occurring.
- ALWAYS call the police and report the crash. An officer will come out to assist you and write a police report.
- Exchange insurance information and contact information with the driver of the other vehicle involved in the crash.
- Notify your own insurance company about the crash, but do not provide a statement to the insurance company of the other person involved until you have consulted with a personal injury lawyer, as anything you say can be used against you and can potentially devalue your claim.
- If you have a personal injury from a vehicle collision, contact an injury lawyer in New Jersey for legal guidance.
Don’t let getting in a car accident ruin your life. Follow the six steps mentioned above and your car accident will be less of a headache and easier to move on from. Again, always call the police following a collision so that you can avoid a he-said she-said battle with the other party involved as well as between your insurance companies. You want to make sure you cover all your bases to prevent being taken advantage of. If you find yourself with an injury from a car crash, do not hesitate to contact a New Jersey personal injury attorney who can review your case for free, explain your legal options and create a customized strategy to guide you in seeking compensation.
Console & Hollawell are personal injury attorneys who have been practicing in New Jersey and Pennsylvania for over 17 years. They have won many awards and have gained national recognition based on their dedication to fighting for victims of personal injury and accidents. If you have been injured in a car crash and need legal advice on your next step, call 1-866-778-5500 and set up an appointment.